Tuesday 16 May 2017

Tools

As I am having a writing block at the moment I thought I would tap out a short blog post to update you on what's been going on lately.

After speaking with my mate Justin on the last Grumpy Man podcast episode I took a leaf out of his book and got organised. If you haven't listened to the episode I'm speaking of then I'll explain it to you briefly here. In each episode I ask what daily habits my friend has that help them to keep a calm mind day to day. Justin told me that he writes down one daily, weekly and monthly goal. When he completes his daily goal he ticks it off, giving a sense of accomplishment to his day. If he doesn't do it he doesn't stress about it, but just rolls it over to the next day. His weekly tasks might be a little larger and range from the necessary chores to more personal aims. Naturally his monthly goals might be to do with personal projects or to further career or life goals. The importance of writing down what your goals are and organising the small details can't be stressed enough.

Another habit that Justin spoke of is also one of my personal favourites. Each morning he makes his bed. That's it! It's that bloody simple. It is a habit that I had years ago and let wane as I let my depression get the better of every facet of my life, even the simplest tasks. But I found it again and it is one of the small things I do each day in order to set myself up for success with my day. After all if you cannot take care of the small, simple things in your life then what hope is there for the big stuff?

On a different note Catherine and I recently found out that we have permanent residency in Australia, so at least we can't get kicked out of the country for outstaying our welcome!

I''l leave you with the words that inspired me to take care of the little things in life. I'd encourage you to read or listen to Admiral McCraven's book: Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World

Tom :)

"If you make your bed every morning you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter. If you can't do the little things right, you will never do the big things right.

And, if by chance you have a miserable day, you will come home to a bed that is made — that you made — and a made bed gives you encouragement that tomorrow will be better.

If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed." - Naval Adm. William H. McRaven

No comments:

Post a Comment