Wednesday 30 July 2014

Loving (and hating) a challenge

Life is full of challenges, from personal problems to marathon running events. The only perceived difference is that there are those we choose and those that choose us. But what if all the challenges we face in life are of our own choice?

How we react to life's challenges is certainly our choice. I'll admit that it is hard to react positively to a perceived negative situation, but sometimes the best reaction is none at all. All we can do is control ourselves and be responsible for our actions. We can't control others (even if we think we can) or their actions, but we can choose how to react to them. By choosing to react defensively or aggressively and let people or situations bring us down we drain ourselves. We upset the homeostasis of our bodies by increasing stress hormones or by disrupting our sleep patterns. At best we are unhappy and sad and worst we are helping in destroying our own health.

The reason I write about this is because I have been experiencing first hand these challenges. I have been working on not being so nice at work and being stronger in my resolve. I have accepted these challenges gladly as an opportunity to learn and grow. However I have also let them get me down and so I have chosen to be sad and tired.

At the end of the day it is only a job, this whole thing is only life. It is not not life and death, so I should be able to stand happy at the day's end. I have been dreaming about work, which only happens when I worry about it a great deal. When I used to worry about my fitness business I would wake up doing pad work in my sleep. I'd rather not be in that place again. That feeling is like a mist that pervades my every pore, it makes me doubt myself and worry unnecessarily. But it is only my mind that creates that feeling, only my choice to react that way.

As humans we love to have something or someone to blame, we love a good moan. Often we are incapable of accepting responsibility when we do something wrong or we choose to act a certain way. "He made me so mad!" "Work has stressed me out and now I feel depressed." Our reactions to these situations or people are merely a choice and our responsibility. I am not perfect (and I'm ok with that), but I recognise my faults and I choose to accept and learn from them. I also choose to be happy, calm and energised for the challenges ahead. After all no one can do these things for me.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment