Thursday 23 October 2014

Keeping my marbles

Today is the middle of my week. Having started on Sunday I finish next Friday, with a day off before I get stuck in again. The great thing about working a lot is that you don't really know what day it is and lose control of fairly simple brain functions. For example today I didn't know what day it was, I just knew I had work to get on with. Having finished earlier than expect I had a productive but enjoyable afternoon off. I am now typing this post from the comfort of my local cafe, with a lovely flat white in hand. However on ordering a coffee and sandwich I had a brain blip. When my sarnie arrived it looked to be different to what I had looked at and ordered, but my brain struggled to remember if I had actually ordered what I had looked at or just imagined that I had. Food at Sorelle is always delicious, so I was more than happy with what lay before me, even if my brain was thinking of something else as I ate it.

I've had a few people ask me why I am working two jobs. For those that work in retail you will know the answer to that question immediately. For those that don't let me enlighten you. The pay is average. To be fair it is better where I am than other companies, but it's not a lot when you live in the Eastern Suburbs. After I've paid rent and bills I probably have approximately $150 left per week. From that I will have to take $20-30 for transport, so I'm left with around $120. From this I can easily take $30 a week for my coffee habit (hey nobody is perfect), so I have $90 left to choose what to do with. As I am trying to pay off debts and save for a wedding I can effectively write off at least $50. So all said and done I have $40 to spend on social activities. So after this long arse summary you can appreciate why I need to work an extra two days a week. It's all about the money baby!

I got back to strength training in the gym this week and boy am I feeling it! Well actually today I am fine, but after the first session I knew I was back. I'm keeping things stupidly simple and working on the foundations of core, mobility and flexibility without going nuts on the weights. I want to look after my body a little better now that I am in my 30s and have run 8 marathons. Gradually you realise that you aren't superhuman and that your body needs proper rest and rehab after these big events. Sadly my strength is abysmal, so I am starting back at square one. However I have 3 months in which to get strong for the wedding, apparently I am supposed to carry Catherine across the threshold. At this moment in time she would be better equipped to carry me over the threshold!

Talking about work reminded me that I have just started doing workshops in store. After shadowing two I took my first one on Monday. The funny thing was that I was told it would be an iPhone workshop, perfect for starting off easily. However when it came to setting up for the hour I discovered it was actually a Mac session. Not a problem I thought, they are only beginners. The final hurdle though in this experience was that the new operating system had arrived the day before and was not installed on my lesson MacBook. Aghhhh! Having only got it the night before my knowledge was limited. Never fear though, the Tom talk machine kicked in and I proceeded to teach the session on what I knew, coupled with some learning on the fly in order to teach my attendees. I knew all my bullshit practice would come in handy one day! Thankfully everyone found the lesson informative and enjoyable and my workshop boss was impressed, high fives for me! I will now be part of the regular workshop schedule going  forward, so I hope to only get better from here.

Alright. Enough jabbering, I am off to get ready for a picnic with C at the Domain in the city. It's been awhile since we've done anything social, so here's hoping the weather remains sunny.

Until next time,

T :)

No comments:

Post a Comment