Tuesday 7 October 2014

Relatively speaking

This morning I checked Facebook to see what was going on around the World. I know that Catherine dislikes the amount of time I spend on my phone (yes I am working on this), but I like to know what my friends are up to and how they are doing.

One of my friends from Salisbury posted this link about the size of the Universe and it pretty much blew my mind.  True perspective

This got me thinking, but in a really simple way, on a really basic level. The thought was "shit, we are small and insignificant!" If we are small and insignificant, so are our worries and stresses. When we think and worry about things in life they consume us, they take over our creativity and attack our passion. When I looked through the pictures in the link above I was amazed and at the same time felt relieved. I have always worried about what I am making of my life and how significant it can be. But it doesn't really matter, what matters is that I try to do as much as I can with life, experience as much as possible and make many mistakes. From these mistakes I will learn and develop, I will enrich my life and those around me and have fun doing so. After all, this worrying has made me a grumpy old man, not the happy, funny youngster I used to be.

With all the work I have been doing of late I have started to bring this mentality to work at Apple. I have been having fun and diving into new experiences as though I was a youngster. I love going to work and I love the carpentry work I do with Steve on my off days. At the same time it makes me appreciate the time I have with Catherine and make it fun and enjoyable for both of us.

With work taking over most of my time I haven't been writing much, so the blog posts have been a little more infrequent and the book writing has slowed a little. A great book I have been reading, which has inspired my own writing is Graeme Simsion's "The Rosie Project". It combines a dry sense of humour (mainly due to the main character's condition), with a romance and a great undercurrent life lesson. As I started reading the book again for the second time I discovered that he has just release the follow up, "The Rosie Effect", which I will be moving onto shortly. I just need to get the Melbourne marathon out of the way this weekend, so I can get back to reading and writing more.

I'll let you know how I get on,

Tom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment