Sunday 21 December 2014

Content

This morning it was a quick trip to the beach for a swim and a coffee to kick the day off. I had planned on heading to the gym, but I was still feeling the effects of a session three days ago, so I called it and went for a dip instead. I remember reading years ago when Arnie (Schwarzenegger) was training back in the day with another famous bodybuilder (possibly Lou Ferrigno), that if they didn't feel up to that morning's session then they would sack it off and go for a huge breakfast instead. I doubt it happened that often and they were probably training twice a day, but it always reminds me to listen to my body and take a break. That way I stay motivated to train and don't overdo it. We should all probably use this in every aspect of our lives, not just training. (Sadly no huge breakfast was consumed post swim)

The beach was pretty sweet this morning, I could've stayed all day if I didn't have to earn some money ;) I've aways loved sitting by the sea and listening to the surf, it has a cathartic effect and makes me forget everything, it is my kind of meditation. Perhaps I should be worried though because this sort of love of the sea could mean I was a seagull in a former life. Seagull or not, the simple things in life give us the most contentment. 

When I was chatting to one of my mates at a leaving drinks the other night he told me that he'd read my blog. He preceded his opinion of it by saying that what he was about to say wasn't criticism. I told him that I welcome criticism, even though I really only write the blog to appease my crazy mind, not to win plaudits. His view was that sometimes he feels I'm writing about my view of the world outside, in a philosophical way. At other times its very much within my world, perhaps within myself. This was excellent news to me as it is exactly how it is. Some days I have something to say, some opinion of the world, which may sound vaguely philosophical. Other days like today I am writing about what I've been doing, how I'm feeling. Those days are the most boring, I feel I don't have much to talk about other than my feelings (how sad). But these days when I write without anything to mention are the good days, the light days, the stable moments. These boring days help me to keep tapping away at the keys and possibly to improve my writing, even if only by a very small amount. The mere fact that I'm sharing is because I'm all good, I keep the dark stuff for my notebook, so as not to scare peeps.

Nobody really wants to read about how shit people are feeling do they? Nor on the other hand do they want to read how positive and amazing people are either. Yes we want people to be happy or content, but we don't want to be reminded about it on Facebook or in someone's blog every other day (I will try to be moderately miserable and happy in equal portions). There are times when I read Facebook, my own writing or listen to people talk and think "oh fuck off!" 

Like many things in life I believe there is a balance to everything. The body keeps homeostasis without us knowing. We should do the same with our minds, with our pursuits, with our work, ultimately with every thing we do, say or think. In doing this we will be content with whatever comes our way in life. My goal in life is not to be happy, that will come and go, rather it is to be content with whatever situation, good or bad, that I face. Being present is a big part of this contentment, we can only effect what is in our control and ultimately that comes down to our minds, our attitude and our reaction to everything outside of ourselves at this very moment.

Here I was thinking this wasn't a philosophical piece of writing. Ah well.

Tom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment