Monday 13 February 2017

Finding a quiet space

We lead "busy" lives today thanks to technology connecting us to everything that happens in the world. Whether we are looking at our friend's lives across the world on Facebook or listening to news events broadcast by the media, we are more connected now than ever before. I know that far better writers and thinkers than myself have explored our present day situation, one that sees us being more connected to the world yet less connected to those around us and our immediate environment. But I wanted to very briefly share what I have been working on.

I have been changing my use of technology over the last few weeks in order to connect properly with friends across the world, yet at the same time disconnect from the media and general bullshit that the internet spews up. For the most part this has been a successful endeavour and has confirmed what role technology plays in my day to day life. Realising the extent that social media is a tool for individuals and corporations alike is especially helpful in reconnecting to life and being mindful everyday. We can only challenge big issues if we are prepared to change our own lives and take action on the small scale first. As much as we may want to make an impact on the world and do something meaningful we are probably getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Our ideas and dreams are often lofty and that is cool, but without action on a basic level performed consistently how can we ever hope to be successful with the big problems. I'm not saying give up on changing the world, but rather let us focus on what we can have an effect on, i.e our local community, friends and family first. From those small steps mountains can be climbed.

On a slightly different note, but nonetheless still linked to the "busyness" of our lives I saw something noteworthy on social media this weekend. Two separate friends posted photos from the beach on Instagram sharing their love for that quiet space, their own place of calm. This popped into my mind this morning when I went to the beach for a swim. Unfortunately the shorebreak was pretty big due to the wind rolling the waves in, so I decided not to jump in the water. When nobody is out swimming you know that it's a bad idea! Instead I sat on the beach and took 30 minutes to meditate, following the mindfulness meditations I use from www.franticworld.com. It got me thinking afterward how much I love to sit on my own at the beach and watch the ocean. It has always been a quiet place for me listening to the waves and thinking about how small we are, which in turn shows how insignificant our problems are.

I am not saying that we should all head down the beach to enjoy a quiet spot. Not only is it impractical but I also don't want you all down there whilst I'm enjoying it ;)
Neither am I advising that everyone should find a quiet place. I know that extroverts across the world don't do well sitting alone in a quiet place. But for those that do find it restorative it is worth utilising that tool to reset your head. We are surrounded by stuff beeping to tell us that someone "likes" a photo of our dog, so why not try switching it off and just sitting with your day for five minutes? Find a park, a beach or your favourite dark room and just sit. Also breathe. Please don't forget to breathe because that is pretty important. But otherwise just sit. Pretty bloody simple way to balance out all this busyness in lives isn't it.

So to summarise let's sit for five and focus on what we can do for our community. I think that is a good place to begin with change.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment