Wednesday 8 February 2017

Tools

For once I am not talking about those people in life that don't seem to have a clue and annoy the shit out of you with their existence. No I am actually talking about the things we can use to help ourselves and make life easier. I may have written about tools before, but I feel now is an apt time after a recent episode of anxiety.

That episode occurred whilst we were enjoying the HSBC Sydney sevens last Saturday. I was in a good frame of mind that morning and was looking forward to spending time with friends watching some great rugby. At first I was happy to be there watching the games, but gradually I became more and more anxious as the noise grew and more and more people came into the stadium. I sat with that feeling for some time, growing quieter as I did and thinking that it was stupid that I felt like this. But then I remembered that I had tools that I could use for exactly this situation.

So I left the stadium and walked outside away from the noise, the hustle and bustle of all the people and the stale air. I found a spot outside under the shade of a tree where I could sit down and just breathe. That's all I focused on at that moment just to settle myself and calm the feeling. Although it didn't fully alleviate the anxiety I did feel an improvement, partly because of the physical element of actually breathing deeply and partly because I felt in control. Much like when I am on a carpentry job I need different tools for different applications and situations. There's no point using a circular saw when all you need is a small block plane to achieve the result you want.

After returning to my seat from a break I had to take two more leaves of absence before we left. I just wasn't enjoying being sat surrounded by lots of people and listening to the noise. Knowing those trigger situations is part of the battle because when you realise what sets you off you can choose to avoid them. In time you want to be able to balance out what your brain does and not avoid all triggers, but at the end of the day you have to look after yourself. If that means not going to a busy shopping mall or a sports event then so be it, there are plenty of other experiences to be had.

For those that are interested I have been using the Apple Watch Breathe app lately and am trialling another called ReachOut on the iPhone. Im not sure whether the latter is available outside of Australia as the content differs from region to region with iTunes, but I am sure a quick Google search for "breathing apps for iPhone" will find you something similar wherever you are.

I know from my daily meditations how helpful breathing can be, but this last experience really brought that home to me. If I was to recommend any tool to focus on for the next week then it would be that one. Each morning devote three minutes to finding a quiet spot where you can sit undisturbed in a comfortable position. If you want to you can set a gentle alarm for three minutes. All you need do for that time is focus on breathing through your nose into your stomach. Breathe out through your mouth as though you were blowing through a straw. Don't force your breath, make it easy. Anytime in the day when you need a "breather" just find a quiet spot and repeat, your body and brain will thank you for it.

Are you ok?

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment