Thursday 14 February 2013

Handyman business

These last two weeks I have completed a myriad of handyman jobs. Perhaps myriad makes it sound more impressive than it actually is, but "a few" doesn't quite cut it.

I've still been assisting customers at Gap, inspiring new fashion trends with every garment I suggest they should buy ;) But in between shifts I have helped my friend Jamie with his new house.

I say "new", but I am sure Jamie won't mind me saying that it is anything but that. I'm not sure of the exact age (my knowledge of Australian building isn't there yet), but I would take a stab at 100 years old. Fortunately the bits that are that old were built to last. It's actually the newer additions that have been built with a lacklustre approach. As a result I have had a little work to do!

Most recently this has included the removal and replacement of the bath panel and its retiling. I have a few photos of the water damage from the ill fitting shower screen (thrilling stuff) and the new bath panel replacement. I now have all the necessary tools to retile this weekend, so I shall post the finished product early next week.

I think the most interesting thing with this small project has been how quickly I have learnt new skills. I know that tiling isn't rocket science (no offence tilers), but doing a great job requires a lot of patience and a willingness to learn like a child. So it's thanks to Catherine and my copy of Readers Digest DIY that I am now able to tile as well as carry out my chippie duties. I have also found that my planning and thinking skills have been improved to at least a level of 15 (out of 100). I soon hope to receive a certificate ;)

Next week Catherine stars full time at the law firm in Double Bay. So be sure to drop her a line and wish her well. I think she's secretly missing her friends at home.

Have a great weekend campers!

Tom :)




Frame before



New frame


Bath panel on!


- Posted using a modern day type writer

No comments:

Post a Comment