Tuesday 26 February 2013

The beauty of writing





I have been writing with routine irregularity since I was at school. Using it as an escape, a way of unfurling demented thought and a sound board for my questioning mind.

In my early writing days I was concerned with the big issues of life as a teenager. Adventure, lust, heroism and self flagellation. Certainly a dizzying mix for any adult to write about, which is probably why it came so easy as a teenager.

Naturally I progressed as I grew older into more serious penmanship. Lust, adventure, love and self flagellation. (Heroism had been put to one side as tiresome.) Again I used pen and paper as a drug user utilises their vice, a means of escape, without questions.

Throughout the years I harboured pompous dreams of writing a novel. I knew it would be a best seller and so naturally I brooded over it for several years ;)

Now that I have grown (I dare not say grown up) I use writing as a release. I have a hectic, daydreaming mind that can accomplish very little without writing. Writing is my plumbers "sucker", unblocking the mess of thoughts, worries and dreams from the U-bend of my brain. Once free I can think much clearer and actually be quite organised!

Whether its scribbling about how I feel, writing for my book or tapping out lines for my blog it all helps. It also allows me to be more creative, to work on the book that I've always wanted to write, but always been prevented from completing.

I recently took an online test for ADHD and scored off the scale (not in a good way). However I am too laid back to get it checked properly. Instead by writing, running, doing yoga and cooking for my little one I am able to control my brain through positive action.

When I first started writing a diary (in which I manage to write a few times a week) I thought it would be stupid. I didn't think I would have anything to say. But the complete opposite has come true. I am able to see what I have achieved and focus on what I need to do next. I can clear my brain for free thinking and some fairly poetic and inspired philosophising. I'm not trying to save the world here, just my own sanity. But by expressing my hopes and worries in a written form, it enables me to look beyond and decide what action I need to take. Lets face it, we all talk a good game (none more so than I), but until we put thought into action we achieve very little.

So get writing people! You don't need to share it with anyone. You can write or type. Create a blog online and make it private, so only you can see it. That way you can use your mobile phone to update whatever you like, whenever you like. (Thanks Andrew for this suggestion.) Or if like me you like writing then get yourself a notebook and a comfortable pen and get rid of those thoughts. You'll thank yourself for taking action and stop dwelling in your daydreams.

Until the next time,

Tom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment