Monday 11 August 2014

Getting back in the game

A week is a long time off of training for Catherine and me. It's even longer when you have a marathon to train for in 8 weeks. But today I returned to the good old days with a less than inspiring gym session and an hour of hot yoga.

As much as it has been hard to do nothing, skip training and miss the City  to Surf it has been a necessity. Sometimes when you get ill it's not just from the sniffling bastards that you work with. It's also because you've run your system down from stress of one kind or another.

Now that I'm back to 78% health I am ready to get back to some serious training in order to prepare for Melbourne marathon. However I'm also in a stronger mental state after stressing about work and money too much. I've told myself to let it go and stop worrying, because everything is actually ok. With that in mind I can balance training to ensure I run a sub 3:30 marathon in October.

Naturally there are more important things in life than running a semi-fast marathon. Namely enjoying time with your loved ones, making yourself happy and possibly creating world peace. Whilst I enjoy the challenge of running, I never forget that the aforementioned things are more important and my reason for living.

It has probably taken me this many years to realise that being good at something doesn't really matter. The people that care about you don't give a damn if you can run fast or get paid really well for selling stocks. They are only concerned by how you treat yourself and them and that is the source of happiness and contentment in life.

So as well as training hard for this run I will also be focussed on loving my better half,  laughing with friends and giving Kofi Annan advice. God knows he needs it right now.

Tom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment