Thursday 21 August 2014

Smashing out words

I made a promise to myself  a couple of weeks ago that I would start writing everyday. I haven't done too badly on that promise, missing only a couple of days. The interesting thing for me has been how much more creative it has made me and how it has helped my moods.

Writing my book "Crotchless pants are all the rage"* I have discovered a new found respect for structure in writing and have seen an improvement in my story from writing everyday. Even if I only scribble out a page or tap out a short blog post I notice more of a flow. This is important when creating a book because there are always times when you have no decent content, no great ideas, no funny remarks. By continuing to write during these moments it helps to clear the scum from the top of the lake of ideas (or in my mind the puddle) and free up creativity. *This is just a working title.

From the side of mood changing it helps me whether I am happy or sad to write everyday, so that I maintain more of a consistent mood. A bit like a Buddhist monk not holding onto happiness or sadness I can just be and be content. It is sad that whilst I have been writing more and avoiding the turmoil that my mind loves to create that Robin Williams has moved on. Like many others I always loved watching him, from seeing him in Mork and Mindy as a youngster to Good Will Hunting when I was older. For all the sadness that I have experienced with similar experiences, the passing of RW made the most sense and hurt as much as if he was my family. It is hard to explain to people that when you are in a depressive state you don't see the world with rosy glasses. You can't see the wealth you have in whatever form you may possess it. You can only feel and that feeling is the lowest you can be, set in the darkest place in your mind. It is indescribable, because for each person it differs. But it's not something that others can easily help with. It is in the hands of the beholder and is up to them what happens. It is also not as simple as just being able to choose to be happy or choose to be helped, it is much deeper and more complex.

On a happier note I have this weekend off, aside from a few hours at Apple tomorrow morning. So Catherine and I are booked into our favourite little Italian restaurant to celebrate seven years together. We will be cracking some champagne early as the table is booked for 6pm, though I think drinking is allowed from 5pm, isn't it Mum?

I hope that you all have a good weekend. You can expect a training round up for the week on Sunday after I have completed my 20 mile run.

Until then,

Happy running/walking/skipping/jumping,

T :)

No comments:

Post a Comment