Friday 12 February 2016

Progress steps

I have had a busy couple of weeks with work all be it nothing when compared with Catherine's crazy hours. Her work has taken a lot out of her lately and reminded me of our life in London when we didn't see much of each other. It has also reminded me how we balance each other out and work as a team. Balance is certainly the best word for this post because we all need to ensure our body's remain in homeostasis. As much as we can hope that others will support us and provide what we need we must accept that won't always be the case. Everyone has to live their lives as an individual and look after themselves first before attending to others. If that seems selfish then you should probably not bother reading on. Unless you can maintain your own balance through correct nutrition, exercise, sleep and social activities then you will fail. It doesn't matter how many friends you have on Facebook they won't be able to look after you unless you look after yourself.

Following this thought process brings me to the title of the post, which is 'progress steps'. These steps have come gradually over the months as I work on retuning my brain. You may have read one of my last posts where I spoke of the necessity to eat enough and how your thinking patterns can change when you achieve optimal nutrition intake. This week I have found the benefits of taking a Magnesium and B-Vitamin supplement every morning along with breakfast. I wouldn't say I am bouncing off the walls with energy, but that my mind has appeared quieter and more stable. I have had a level of concentration return which has escaped me for months if not more and my memory recall seems like it's taken speed. Considering how bad my memory has been over the years it is a definitive step in the right direction to be able to recall names, conversations and useful information so much easier than before. I am no scientist and so I cannot say that my experiment has conclusively proven this supplement is the cure all. But I haven't meditated in over a week and aside from ditching Facebook there has not been another change. Normally meditating would be keeping me clear headed, so to not have done any and feel this good is pleasing to say the least.

Obviously I am happy to make progress, but as I have said before it doesn't come easy. I have changed a great deal that I do and in all honesty I only experience 'low to moderate' depression. So to put it bluntly it takes time and consistent effort. It is hard work to overcome mind habits created many years ago and reinforced over two decades. For those who are (or have someone) going through depression I can offer much advice, but mainly just this, keep on going. It may be a long road, but the experiences along the way are worth it, even if your mind may tell you something different. Be patient and stick with it, because eventually you see small things happen and you realise that maybe life isn't so bad after all.

Are you ok?

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment