Monday 29 February 2016

Back on the wagon

My good friend Nick left yesterday after a week in Sydney and I was sad to see him go. But his leaving reminded me that I still have a way to go. I had enjoyed drinking with Nick after four weeks on the wagon, but by the end of the week my mind didn't feel the same way. I felt sad that Nick had gone, but more than that I felt bad that I hadn't been on best form while he was with us. Part of me realises how much my routine determines my mood, when I am out of that I am grumpy, distant, in a daydream. Some of those fore mentioned feelings are because we had later nights than normal, or I drank most nights I'll admit, but that in itself is outside of my routine. Some of it comes from not doing the parts of my routine that keep me balanced. It sounds fucking nuts if I'm honest and yes I do think too much, but hey that's me.

So the result of this insight into my mind is that I just have to get "back on the wagon". Aside from stopping drinking for the next month I am getting back to my meditation and to lifting weights. The last two require a new habit of early mornings, which I started last week when Nick was staying. Along with a couple of friends Catherine and I have started training a couple of mornings a week along the coastal path. This is awesome for setting up my new early morning habit as it makes me get out of bed for someone other than myself. Obviously I get fitter by doing (I'm not completely stupid), but it also gets me into a pattern of doing my training before work. The new routine I am building means I hit the beach for a swim after work (sorry English friends), which is my time to switch off the brain.

For the next four weeks I hope to be able to report successes as well as the failures, because no great plan is without its fuckups. Until then I'll leave you with this....



Are you ok?

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment