Saturday 27 February 2016

Taking stock

This last week has been a fun and busy time with my great friend Nick staying with us. It has been a break from the normal routine which has been as insightful as it has been enjoyable. As I said to Nick yesterday it has highlighted the number of different factors I need to keep balanced in order to keep my mind in check.

Before Nick arrived I managed four weeks without drinking alcohol (I may have been a day shy of four weeks), which I believe had a noticeable effect on my brain. That effect came in the form of greater concentration at work, less of a wandering mind and a more stable mood in general. Obviously these are subjective things that I can't measure, but I think if you find something that works then why question it. It is worth experimenting on yourself by gradually changing things within your life and noticing their impact. Like a science experiment you don't try and change everything at once, but focus on small things first. That way you can keep what works and discard what doesn't.

Nick leaves today and that marks the start of my alcohol free stretch for the next four weeks or more. It coincides nicely with me getting back to running, which we began last week and a return to the gym, which I've been slack at lately. As boring as it may sound having a routine is the most helpful thing for me. It goes against my natural state of relaxed chaos, but being organised and structured gives the old brain less chance to mess about. That routine includes the things that keep me on track, so if I sacrifice them for a lie in, or to work later or do something I don't want to do then my health suffers. It sounds dramatic to say that, but in the long run it does. But worse than that how I am in mood and health affects those I love and as my Buddhist tattoo says, "May all find happiness in my actions and let no one suffer because of me." Time to get back to that simple mission statement.

Are you ok?

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment