Tuesday 3 May 2016

Brain changer


I have been reading a book given to me by a friend called The Brain that Changes Itself. That's the book's name not hers. It's a fascinating read about the ability of the brain to heal itself. Or rather use other areas of the brain when areas are damaged. The book details the science behind this neuroplasticity and shows how it's being used to treat conditions from schizophrenia to stroke paralysis.

I'm not that far through this book because as always I have gone from reading one to three again. But give me a few days and I will have devoured it ;) The beauty of reading something like this is that it shows how much the brain is open to change, to adapting to damage and improving when no damage exists. It shows that our only limitation is ourselves and the constraints that conventional "wisdom" and education heap on us. If you have enough desire to learn to overcome a problem or educate yourself then the resources are out there, it just takes consistent action. A great deal of consistent action I might add!

Relating to depression this book (dare I say it) gives hope to those that have tried many things and to those that have tried none, but weathered the storm in their heads. In my view it gives people the insight that there are tools out there to be used to help overcome what they are going through. This is a contentious issue because I know that for those suffering with severe depression or anxiety they will feel that it is incurable. This is where I dare to tread the tightrope of the mental health fence. I swing (not sexually) from holding a strong belief/thought pattern that depression is incurable, to seeing more and more how much can be overcome through science, education and action.

There is a lethargy with depression that often holds people back from action. I know this because I feel it regularly and have spoken with depressive friends that feel the same. It is like trudging through treacle, it is an effort to think and focus on tasks at times and you just have to give up on trying until you are released. It is mentally and physically draining at times and you have to prioritise things like work at the cost of anything else. Then I have days when I feel I could conquer the fucking world, nothing can stop me. That lasts for a day and then I have a right royal come down and lose all excitement for life. BUT, when I am in that good space of neither up nor down I know that I can work through nicely. I am calm and contented, I know I can change my brain and that gives me hope (bugger I used that word twice!)

So if you are suffering with any illness or just want to change yourself then know this, it can be done. Yes it takes a great deal of effort, but as my Dad always says "there is no such thing as a free lunch". You just have to have the desire to change and a great deal of support from friends and family to get there. Like I said in my last post, you can sail the Atlantic solo, but it's a great deal easier and safer if you do it with a team. Time to get your team right and your focus on the end game.

Keep posted on MrStevensWrites for tools to help you through this change.

Tom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment