Thursday 5 May 2016

Working on my paperclips

It's going to take me some time to fill that bad boy on the right
The day after the storm and as is usual nowadays I am once again determined to do something about this head of mine. As much as I love roller coasters this one is a bitch. However I am glad that at least I've snapped back quicker than before. Clearly all this writing and meditating is making me aware of what I can actually take action on, i.e. everything.

Now I may be a grumpy man, but it does cheer me when one of my best friends sends me a message with a helpful article. (This is not meant to sound sarcastic, but as I am a sarcastic bastard it may do.) The article in particular is this one by James Clear and it was just what I needed when I woke up at 5:45am this morning. Having woken a little groggy I turned my SleepCycle alarm off (check that out, it's awesome) and saw I had a message from my friend KT. In it she offered the article above thinking that I had written it (if only!), probably based on my chameleon like habit of changing names on social media. The article is great for explaining a little about anxiety, but it was the Paper Clip strategy that he mentions which has really helped this morning. Essentially it boils down to this. Take two jars and fill one with paper clips. Each time you take action on a task you want to be consistent with you move a paperclip to the empty jar. For example each time I write something I will move a paperclip across. For you it could be each time you take some exercise, meditate or any task you want to be consistent with. It's a visual strategy aimed at tracking your progress and reminding you in the most simple way. My jars are now by the kettle because as every Brit knows an Englishman loves his tea!

I'll keep you posted with my progress, but let me remind you that for every trip and stumble there is someone wanting to lend you a hand. For every shit day that you want to tell the world to get fucked, there is something better around the corner. But for now lets focus on the immediate and take action on what we can change, not what might or might not happen in the future.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment