Friday 13 May 2016

Ready, set, ACTION!

At the start of the week I wrote a post about how I was taking action. After my brother messaged me to ask me what I meant I knew that I had been suitably vague on the details. But I am still working this shit out, so it can take some time. My brain is basically like a Brita water filter, it absorbs a lot of crap, but eventually after an unknown period of time it gives out something I can absorb.

So after a few days of taking "action" I came upon a new way of dealing with my brain. Taking action is as simple as it sounds, it means getting off your backside and doing something, so that your brain can't flood you with endless negativity or purposeless questions. It means you take back control of your brain and better yourself and your life. It needn't be a big task that you take action on, it could just be putting the bins out. But you take that small task, own it and act on it. If you put off the small things then how will you progress on the big stuff?

So far I have split it into four key areas that I want to improve (this may increase later). The areas look like this....

My amazing brain diagram



 Work: I take action to improve my work life. That could be as simple as putting 100% into each work day no matter what crap jobs we may have to do. There is always something to be learnt from each working day no matter how small. It means focusing on the task in hand and not letting my mind wander. It also means networking and furthering my work outside of the 9-5 because none of us can rest on our laurels.

Family: Checking in with family, friends, loved ones. We all lead busy lives, whether they are actually busy or we just like to think they are we should still make time for the important people in our lives. Asking how others are doing not only helps you to stay grounded, but also makes those people feel wanted. I don't need to tell you how it feels when you are low and a friend checks in with you. So do the same for one of yours, they may not want to talk at that moment, but if you keep checking they may take you up on a chat.

Health: If you think because I used to be a PT that it's easy for me to look after my health then think again! I am no better at avoiding junk food, training regularly or getting enough quality than anyone else. I have barriers to training, diet and sleep like everyone else. I will say to myself that I need more sleep when my alarm goes off at 5am to train. Or I won't eat enough during the day because I couldn't be bothered to shop the night before. Like everyone else I will watch TV til I go to bed because I don't want to miss out on a show I'm following. If I am lacklustre with my physical health then how will my mental health cope? So my actions this week have been to train after work to get out and do something no matter how small it may be.

Love: This is pretty simple. It doesn't mean you have to "find" love. It can mean a variety of things and I mean it for me on multiple levels. I will love my wife, I will love writing, I will love eating, I will love doing handstands, I will love playing PS4 with my mate Simon. Whatever the thing or person you love, you should focus time in your week to doing those things or being with those people. Life is too short to miss out on doing the things you want to do, so just go and do them.


Taking action doesn't mean you make yourself crazily busy though. It means you act on the things that are important to you and that will improve your life and the lives of others as a result. I'm not saying you need to be a charity angel or give yourself to serving others, far from it. I'm actually saying that if you are selfish and think about what you love to do, what you want from your life and then take action then things will change for the better in your life. When you are doing what you want to do your mood and energy changes because you are in control, you are not a zombie sheep following everyone else. When your mood improves the mood of others around you improves, you become a leader of action not a follower of reaction.

But who am I to preach unless I do what I say, so here I am writing to tell you that I am doing these things. In the last two weeks I've overcome a couple of personal mountains, which have propagated the seedlings of a new direction. When you lack excitement and fulfillment from your life these are the moments you hold onto with all your might. It's hard work on a lot of fronts dealing with depression, but fuck it's worth it in the end. Just keep holding on.

Tom :)






No comments:

Post a Comment