Thursday 30 March 2017

RMR (really mean rabbit?)

Really mean rabbits aside the above acronym actually means resting metabolic rate and I had it tested today, the results were interesting to say the least.


  It might not make much sense to you, but the top table is the one to focus on. The figure of 2,578 kcals a day is what I should be eating just at pure rest. The figure of 3,764 kcals a day is what I should be consuming in order to function effectively at my current activity level.

I can pretty much guarantee that I am not eating anywhere near enough calories. Even on my current keto diet I'm hitting closer to 2,800 per day. To say I am on keto is a little lie as it has become more like a low carbohydrate (carb) diet now. Especially since I've incorporated a little more of the good stuff this week in order to sleep better. If you didn't know carbs are a great source of seratonin, a neurotransmitter that helps with sleep, mood and appetite. It seems like I'm finding excuses for carbs, but the amounts I've eaten have been small, honest!

As well as the test I had a consultation afterward with the exercise scientist Matthew. Other than the need to increase my daily calorie intake he showed me that the keto may not be working. What you can't see on this photo is that 96.8% of my calories during the test came from carbohydrates. This is more than annoying because if keto was proving to be successful then the calories would be coming from my fat stores. I won't fully pass judgement on keto until after my body fat scan in a week, but I will be changing the macro nutrient percentages going forwards. After consultation with Matthew I am going to change those amounts to 25% carbs, 35% protein and 45% fats. I'll keep you updated on my progress in the coming weeks. Photos of cheat meals to follow ;)

Today I have been relatively busy trying to finish off the editing of my first podcast, which will go live on my website soon. This blog will also move to that site soon too, just as soon as I finish off all the other components! I'll tell you one thing though, recording a podcast is much harder than writing. I know I should probably edit these posts a little more, but if I did I'd never publish anything. That my friends has been the problem with the podcast, listening to your voice is painful to say the least and I've spent hours repeating parts to get it right. Nevertheless I will soon have a short weekly podcast to go along with this blog. It will be covering tools to help improve mental health, everything from nutrition to meditation and fitness training. Let me know if you have any tools that you use or topics to discuss, soon enough I'll be looking for people to interview!

Right I'm off to eat more calories, catch you tomorrow friends!

Tom :)

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favourable" - Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment