Thursday 10 March 2016

Help or hinder

My latest read that I wrote about a few weeks ago is Gorilla Mindset by Mike Cernovic. I have been steadily working my way through it's ridiculously helpful pages and using some of the tools he speaks of. 


One of the things I have been working on is reducing distractions and limiting the number of things I expend my focus on. For example it is not unheard of for me to have four books on the go at once. Plainly this is too many, so I have reduced it to two. The reason two and not one is because the book above is a "work it through" read, whereby I have to engage my brain and concentrate on the tasks it sets. It's not ideal if I want to switch off or  read before bed, so I have another book which is normally fiction for this purpose. In terms of distractions I have reduced social media on my phone to zero and now just use Facebook to post blog posts or keep in touch with a small group of friends and family in the U.K. 

All of the above can be easily categorised into "help or hinder". The section I am working on from the book now is cutting off (or greatly reducing) time spent with people that hinder my progress to my goals. Conversely the aim is to increase the time spent with those that help my journey to both my mind goals as well as my life aspirations. Sadly for some that means saying goodbye to previous friendships and focusing on the ones that matter. This idea is brutal and not a new one to me as I first read it in a book called 'Get off your but" by Sean Stephenson. It's another great book and an inspiring story of perseverance, pain and fortitude. Read it.




Other than working on the book I have been continuing my meditation and writing practice, because unlike what some may think I can't just switch this thing off. I don't have the benefit of a rational "normal" mind, so I just keep working at all the little things I can do. That's why writing is such a catharsis for me, if you haven't tried it then I suggest you buy a small notepad and write down how you feel. You'll be amazed how much it helps.

Are you ok?

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment