Wednesday 15 January 2014

Bye bye beans!

It has been a couple of days since my last confession father, but I have not sinned, much....

Since Monday's post I have cut out the old beans and I'm still performing rather well in the running department. My social scores have increased as well and I have felt safe to attend a hot yoga session without gassing 40 unsuspecting people. My sins have included a small amount of rice with a sushi lunch and a couple of cappucinos, please forgive me!

I went to hot yoga on Tuesday night for 90 minutes and sweated out at least a towel and a half worth of water. This particular class (Power Vinyasa) has a heated room temperature of 30 degrees and is focused on the "flow" (read continuous movement), resulting in a challenge for the cardio respiratory system and muscular strength. I find it perfect for reaching a deeper stretch for my tight running muscles than the "cooler" classes of Power Align and Basics. Having said that I will be going to a Yin class on Sunday, as the whole class is much slower and cooler, but the poses are held for 5 minutes each. Think pretzel shape yoga and you won't be far off. Well, not me, maybe Catherine ;)

Yesterday morning was run training and a lovely little speed work session. This consisted of 5 x 1000m intervals run at 4:08 (14.5km/hr or 9mph), with 400m recoveries. I have to admit that I was pretty lethargic yesterday morning and was feeling the after effects of a tough yoga practice. My first interval almost didn't happen, but with the beauty of peer pressure (Catherine watching from the bike) I got through the first one. After that it was plain sailing. For the recoveries I brought the speed down to a walk for 250-300m, then into a comfortable run for the last 100m. This gave me a chance to focus on good running technique for each interval, with the last one increased to 16kph for the last 100-150m, just to finish strong.

All this chat about training is boring no? So let's talk food, yum! I'll keep this short as most of the meals are the same. Lunches and dinners have consisted of baked aubergine with chickpeas in a passata sauce. Yesterday I cooked a load of lentils, some organic beef mince and peas and sweetcorn. Technically the sweetcorn isn't allowed on the 4HB during the week, but it is a fave of Catherine's, so I knew it would put a smile on her face. As I have probably mentioned before the meals tend to be the same, perhaps boring, but ultimately easy to make in large quantities and freeze if needed. After all the whole week builds up to the best day of all - CHEAT DAY!! It's on Saturday, so keep afoot of the action (I will post photos of the decadence) by checking back on Saturday through the day. 

Before cheat day I have to hit the gym for a strength training and bike session tonight, followed by a 7 mile tempo run tomorrow at 5am and an 11 mile long run on Saturday (forthwith known as CHEAT DAY). Happy days!

What have you all been up to lately? Let me know by posting abuse and comments. I'm mainly interested in your training and nutrition and exciting past times. So don't bore me like I do to you ;)

Happy training all,

Tom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment