Monday 13 January 2014

Wind power

My testing of the 4 Hour Body continues with each of my marathon training sessions. Last night I ran 10 miles approximately 13 seconds a mile quicker than target pace. Now there are a few reasons this run went so well. It could have been because I had eaten regularly and sufficiently to ensure my energy and mood levels were high. There is the possibility (though unlikely) that having done cheat day on Sunday I may have had a mini carb loading of my muscles, thus packing them with glycogen ready for an exertion such as this. Or the more likely scenario is that the copious amounts of beans I have had to eat on this diet have given me a significant (and possibly illegal) boost of wind power, thus enabling me to knock significant time off my mileage.

Wind power is probably a one trick pony. Aside from the obvious benefits of improving running times, I can't see any other benefit. Unless you value your alone time and see the ability to clear rooms, perhaps even floors as a benefit. There is also the bloating experienced from eating beans, which although useful in certain life threatening aquatic scenarios isn't the best look.

'Why haven't you soaked them?' I hear you cry. Well the tinned beans we use have been soaking for quite a while, which should help break down the indigestible starches. Also I have been using organic beans (as recommended) wherever possible. It could be the variety of beans we have been consuming; cannellini, kidney beans, green baby lima beans and northern beans that have caused the issues.

Catherine and I have come to the conclusion that life is too short to find out which bean is the culprit. So we are just going to knock them all on the head instead. We will still have chickpeas, green beans and the odd kidney bean in a chili, just every other day. The only trouble is that this means eating more veggies/protein to replace the lost calories and ensure that I can still get close to my record wind powered run times.

Somehow I think I will survive and maybe my friends might want to speak to me again....

Tom :)


No comments:

Post a Comment