Wednesday 9 December 2009

Barefoot running and new shoes

Last night I had an unexpected free evening, so on my return home I slipped on my Vibram Fivefingers to go for a small run. The Vibrams are basically a covering for your feet, so that you can run barefoot and be protected from grit, stones, glass etc.

Having not used them in a little while I thought I'd just do 10 minutes (as you have to ease your body into barefoot running), by heading down the road and back. But after 10 minutes easy running I felt energised (must've been the mince pie!) and carried on into Kingston, passed bemused shoppers, in a loop back to the house. My second mile far outstripped my first, but I could feel the calves weren't appreciating all that I was doing so I eased off for the last mile to focus on technique and work on my Chi Running (see previous post).

It was a refreshing experience to go out and just run alone as I'm normally running with clients, Catherine or friends. There is something good about running just because you can.

So if the family get you flustered this Christmas my advice to you is to pull on those running shoes, forget the watch, the gps and the Ipod and just......run!

I have now ordered my new Somnio running shoes (see London running show post), so I am looking forward to taking them out and breaking them in. I think my feet may need a touch of tennis ball rolling after mind!

T :)

No comments:

Post a Comment