Saturday 19 December 2009

This weeks running

Another week, another step closer to Christmas and all the trimmings.

This week has been frightfully cold, but enjoyable. There's something exciting and fun about running in the snow, especially as we never see that much down south! The first two runs of the week were a 4 miler and a 10 miler, both in cold conditions that required full body protection from the elements. Funnily enough though once I got running and the furnace was burning I was soon peeling off the layers to cool down, even if it was close to freezing! It certainly improvedmy running too, as I wasn't hanging about or thinking too hard about how I was running, my stride length or speed mainly because my head was so cold I think I had brain freeze!

I was running with a client for my long run of the week, though actually it was her long run and I was using it for my training too! Having previously run for 1hr 40 minutes we were due to run for 1hr 25 as written in her periodised program. However we found ourselves a little way from her house at the finish so ended up running 1hr 43 to get back to the warmth of her home. I introduced her to some natural energy bars that I've used before called mulebar - www.mulebar.com - and also some electrolyte gels. Both help keep the energies up on the long ones and get the eletrolytes back in from sweating to help the muscles contract effectively and reduce dehydration. Thankfully she loved both, so I can now order away for future expeditions in the snow!

The last run of the week was today and was just another 4 miler. All went well and the new Somnio shoes have been fully broken in and are working well. No knee pain from adapting to their corrections and lovely cushioning for the tarmac!

It may appear that I am being lazy, but this is actually true! I am on traget with the program, so whenever you think I'm not running much it's not the case...honest! Soon I will be running 20 milers regularly (at snails pace) as we move into the bog, boring runs of 2010. Roll on New Year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment