Wednesday 21 September 2011

Diet or Eating Lifestyle

If you are looking after your health or trying to lose weight then you are probably searching for a diet. The trouble with searching for a “diet” is what we read (even this) may not be suitable for us as individuals.

Do you ever see a new diet and ask “why was that created?” If you do then I commend you. But if you are like most people then you will read about the latest diet craze and start to believe that it is perfect for you. If the media (bless ‘em) have done their job properly, then you will hear about this new diet on radio, tv and in a numerous selection of magazines and newspaper pullouts. Suddenly your own opinion (you wish) of this diet is reinforced, it must work! In all honesty it will work, for a week or two. You’ll lose weight and think “this is great!” Then the honeymoon period will wear off and some event will knock you off the tracks. You’ll start to think that now that you’ve lost the weight you can go back to what you used to do and it’ll stay off, it’ll be fine. But it doesn’t and it isn’t fine, as you put on the weight you lost, plus a few pounds for good measure. Psychologically you’ve gone through the mill and your body has too. You are now heavier than when you started and demoralised by your diet experience. You’ll be put off diets and possibly fitness too.

Now what could you have done differently?

Well my starting point would be “why has this diet been created?” “Who created it and what is their motivation for doing so?” Finally I would ask myself “will I be able to make this diet a permanent part of my life or will it only last a couple of months?”
There are numerous other questions you could ask yourself. If you do then that is great! Do not just accept what is printed in front of you, question, question and question some more! By “interrogating” the article/diet you will be able to work out whether the diet was created for financial gain (likely) or for health improvement. You’ll see whether it was created by a reputable coach, scientist, nutritionist or a celebrity backed by a multinational. Finally you’ll discover if you have any doubts as to its success over the long term. If you have doubts about it then you won’t succeed, move onto something else.

So what diet should I choose?

I don’t believe there is one diet for everyone, it is a matter of searching and self experimentation to find what works in the long run, not as a short term fix for your weight issues.
Don’t worry though I am not about to sell you the next big thing. Rather I want to give you a chance to view eating in a different, unconventional light. Maybe, just maybe you will be ready to give your all to one of these approaches to eating and sustain it for the long run. If you are not prepared to give it your all, don’t bother trying these diets. You have to be certain of what you want and how much you are prepared to sacrifice to get the body you desire. When you are at that point you’ll be ready for one of these:


This is the diet, or as I prefer to call it “eating lifestyle” that I am currently self experimenting. It requires a certain amount of organisation, but proffers results within the first couple of weeks. It is not for those who are dipping their toes into a diet. This is unconventional and will provide results if you stick to the diet. It’s as difficult as you make it, so be organised and buy in the food and think about what you eat, you won’t regret it.


A personal favourite that I tried a couple of years ago. It helped me to get off bread for awhile and as a result I now rarely eat pasta, have reduced my bread intake and think about the amount of wheat and processed products I consume. If you don’t like fruit or vegetables it can be tricky, but it depends how badly you want to achieve your goals...


I haven’t tried the Oz Diet, but in a way it is what I would do if I wasn’t self experimenting. It’s a balanced approach to a diet, gets you to cut down or remove processed foods and for me is a common sense diet. It’s a healthy eating lifestyle, which could help you to lose weight and reduce your chances of coronary hear disease.


Again another favourite diet of mine. I first read the book 7 years ago, but it wasn’t until I tried it again this year that I realised how ideal this way of eating is. Firstly you answer over 60 questions on the way you eat, how food affects your mood and sleep and many other unusual areas. From these questions the book will highlight what metabolic type you lean towards. You could be a “fast oxidiser”, “mixed type” or “slow oxidiser”. How the questionnaire defines you will affect what foods you should eat for improved health, energy and weight control. It’s been used with thousands of the author’s patients, which is why I like it. It has been used to improve health firstly and aided in weight control as a result. Check it out.

I’ve tried most of the above diets and recommend you do the same to see what works. As a word of advice make sure you do exactly what it says in the book and stick to it for at least two weeks, ideally four. Take a notebook with you everywhere and note down any reactions; headaches, increased thirst, increased use of the toilet, bloating, gas. These are all indicators of what your body is doing. Don’t be surprised if you do get headaches and some gut issues as your body adjusts to a new way of eating.
Keep an eye on the blog this week as I keep up my experimentation with the Four Hour Body.

Happy eating!

Tom J

No comments:

Post a Comment